Iceland is bursting with natural wonders from active volcanoes, glaciers, huge waterfalls, lava fields, geysers, thermal pools and the majestic Aurora Borealis - making it the perfect base for an Iceland Northern Lights holiday or luxury adventure holiday.
Straddling the mid-Atlantic ridge, Iceland is very geologically active which in turn creates some of the most striking scenery in the world.
The magnificence of the island is not just limited to scenery. Wildlife such as whales can be spotted off the coast, making the perfect destination for nature lovers.
Area: 103,000 SQ KM
Currency: Icelandic Króna
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit for an Iceland summer adventure holiday is from May to August
If it is an Iceland Northern Lights holiday you are looking for then visit from December to March to catch the best of the Aurora Borealis.
- Marvel at the majestic Northern Lights over Akureyri in northern Iceland
- Take a dip in the Golden Circle and Fontana Steam Baths
- Explore the north Icelandic tundra on a Lake Mývatn Super Jeep
- Go underground in a lava cave and marvel at Iceland greatest natural cave ice sculptures
- Embark on a gourmet food tour discovering the very best of North Icelandic local food
Food and Drink
The roots of Icelandic cuisine are to be found in the traditions of Scandinavian cuisine. Much of the taste of this traditional country food is determined by the preservation methods used; pickling in fermented whey or brine, drying and smoking. Popular dishes include:
- Skyr – dairy product, similar to strained yogurt
- Hangikjöt - smoked lamb
- Kleinur – fried pastry
- Laufabrauð – Icelandic bread that is most often eaten in the Christmas season
- Þorramatur – a traditional buffet served at midwinter festivals
- rúgbrauð – dense dark and sweet rye bread
Popular Icelandic drinks include:
- Brennivín – a clear, unsweetened schnapps
- Kúmenkaffi - Caraway coffee
Where to go and what to do
Interested in Iceland?
If you are interested in travelling to Iceland and would like to speak to one of our personal travel experts simply call +44 (0) 800 566 8901 or leave us a message through our Contact Us page. We can’t wait to help make your next dream holiday a reality.