Northern Lights Holidays in Sweden
When it comes to Northern Lights holidays, Sweden has it all. From the amazing ICEHOTEL, frozen lakes, forests and rivers to its mountains and some of the clearest skies in the world; for Holidays to see the Aurora in Sweden, Swedish Lapland is the best place to head.
Broadly speaking, you can split this area into three: Lulea in the East, Kiruna in the middle and Abisko and Björkliden in the west. Each offers a different experience including the TreeHotel, Aurora Safari Camp, ICEHOTEL and Aurora Sky Station to name but a few. For those of you looking for an ultimate Northern Lights Holiday, you can even combine all three destinations or even join them up with visits to Norway and Finland.
Swedish Holiday Experiences
More About Sweden
When to see the Northern Lights in Sweden
To best see the Northern Lights in Sweden, visit during the winter season from December to March. If you want to see another of Sweden’s phenomena, visit the north-most reaches between December 6th and January 6th; they are so far north that they experience 32 consecutive days of pure darkness.
449,964 SQ KM
Food and Drink
The food and drink in Sweden is diverse with many modern international influences. A few traditional Swedish dishes to try include:
- ‘Sill och potatis’ – Pickled herring and new potatoes
- ‘Pytt i panna’ – fried diced potatoes, sausage and onion served with diced beetroot and a fried egg
- ‘Kötbullar och potatis’ – Swedish meatballs and potatoes
- ‘Janssons fretelse’ – baked potato, onion, cream and anchovy dish
- ‘Sürströmming’ – fermented herring which is really stinky and not for the faint hearted
When it comes to drinks, Swedes love:
- ‘kaffe’ – coffee which is done very well in Sweden
- ‘aquavit’ – a flavoured spirit flavoured from caraway or dill
- ‘öl’ – beer, it is well worth trying some local brews
See the Northern Lights for yourself
We create tailor-made itineraries for Northern Lights holidays in Sweden that are truly personalised. Each itinerary is tailored to meet your exact needs and requirements and ensures that each trip to the Northern Lights is unique.If you would to find out more about seeing the Northern Lights in Sweden, speak to one of our personal travel experts by calling +44 (0) 800 566 8901, or leave us a message through our Contact Us page. We can’t wait to help make your next dream holiday a reality.