Portugal is a country to savour life slowly. It is a destination to soak up the outdoor life with good food fresh from a local market and washed down with a local glass of wine.
With olive groves, vineyards and packed with historical sites, the landscape is enough to entice and inspire those wanting to explore on foot, bicycle or horseback.
A Portugal Adventure Holiday can be as involved or relaxed as you make it, however either way you are sure to spend your evenings indulging in local food and wine watching the sun go down over the magical countryside or coast.
Area: 92,391 SQ KM
Best Time to Visit
The best time to visit for a summer Portuguese Adventure Holiday is from June to September.
- Sitting in a small rib boat alongside the largest animal in the world, the blue whale
- Jumping on a bike along local trails across the Azores volcanic landscape
- Take to a canoe to explore the Lagoa das Furnas
- Join a horse riding tour to wind through the local scenery
- Discover the local marine life fist hand by diving or snorkelling the local waters
Food and Drink
Portuguese cuisine has many Mediterranean influences. A few local dishes include:
- Bacalhau, dried and salted cod
- Amêijoas à Bulhão Pato, a Portuguese clam dish
- Folar de Chaves, is bread stuffed with pork, ham, salpicão and linguiça
- An embutido is a local cured sausage
- Cozido is a traditional stew of different meats and vegetables
When it comes to drinks in Portugal, try:
- Ginjinha is a liqueur made by infusing ginja berries in alcohol and adding sugar
- Licor Beirão is a Portuguese liqueur with 22% ABV. Its recipe is a trade secret
- Portuguese wine is well worth sampling
Where to go and what to do
Interested in Portugal?
If you are interested in travelling to Portugal and would like to speak to one of our personal travel experts simply call +44 (0) 800 566 8901 or leave us a message through our Contact Us page. We can’t wait to help make your next dream holiday a reality.